Primary Outcome Measures:
- Airway leak pressure [ Time Frame: After 8 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
Measured in cmH2O
Secondary Outcome Measures:
- Number of LMA-S with primary success [ Time Frame: After 8 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
The induction of anesthesia will follow the standard operating procedures of the pediatric anesthesia division at the children's hospital for the use of supraglottic airway devices. After loss of eyelash reflex and proper bag-mask ventilation provided, the SGA will be introduced into the mouth under standardized anesthesia to guarantee the same depth of anesthesia. This includes either propofol 2.5 mg/kg for older children, or sevoflurane inhalation in younger children at an end-tidal sevoflurane concentration of 6%. The time necessary to insert the airway device and the success rate will be recorded. We will also check at what airway pressure the SGA starts leaking. A fiberscope will be inserted through the airway port and through the gastric tube to obtain a view of the vocal cords and evaluate the position of the SGA. The gastric catheter will then be placed after insertion; the size will be according manufacturers' recommendations. After surgery, the SGA will be checked for evidence of mucosa lesions (blood stains on device). One day after surgery, the patient (and/or the parents) will be interviewed about sore throat, hoarseness, dysphagia, postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV), rescue medication, pain, time of hospital discharge and any unscheduled re-hospitalization.
Before and during the operation, the following data will be recorded: Sex, age, weight, surgical procedure and duration, medications needed, cardiovascular parameter, depth of anesthesia. Secondary outcome data include:
- The insertion time necessary to airway device placement.
- Success rate of SGA device to ventilate patient
- Fiberscope view through the airway port on the glottis opening (1 full vision on the vocal cords - 4 no structure distinguishable)
- Fiberscope view through the airway gastric tube channel on the upper esophageal sphincter (rating 1-4)
- Placement of the gastric catheter (yes, no)
- Postoperative: Device will be checked for evidence of mucosa lesions (blood stains on device).