Studying Skeletal Muscle, Heart, and Diaphragm Imaging in Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) is a disease in which the muscles are unable to make the protein dystrophin. Without this protein, the muscles become gradually weaker. A new medicine called GSK2402968 is being tested to see if it can help prevent or slow down this loss of muscle strength. In this study, boys with DMD and healthy volunteers will have different types of imaging studies to see which ones provide the best images of the muscles. This information will help researchers use these imaging techniques to test the safety and effectiveness of GSK2402968 and other agents.
- To test magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound techniques that can detect changes in muscles of boys with DMD.
- Boys who have DMD and are in the GSK2402968 drug test study.
- Healthy boys of the same age as the above study participants.
- Participants will be screened with a medical history and physical exam.
- Healthy volunteers will have one 2-hour visit with three tests. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans of the skeletal muscles and heart and diaphragm muscles will be carried out. Muscle ultrasound imaging of leg and arm muscles will also be done. Participants should not perform heavy physical activity like school sports or long walks during the week before the visit.
- Participants in the GSK2402968 study will have the same series of tests as the healthy volunteers. The tests will be given during the study screening phase. They will be repeated after 3 months and 6 months of receiving the study agent (GSK2402968 or placebo) and at 6 months after stopping the GSK study.
|Official Title:||Evaluation of Skeletal Muscle, Cardiac, and Diaphragm Imaging Biomarkers for GSK2402968 Effects in Ambulatory Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy|
- Changes in muscle fat content quantified by T1w GRE Dixon imaging method in skeletal muscles in the lower extremities at 24 weeks from baseline in the parent study in ambulatory boys with DMD receiving GSK2402968 or placebo
- Changes in muscle edema by T2w imaging and muscle fat/water content by IDEAL-CPMG method; myocardial fat/edema and cardiac function by MRI methods in DMD boys receiving GSK2402968 or placebo as well as DMD boys at baseline versus healthy volunte...
- Changes in water diffusivity by MRI; muscle volume, fat, and fibrosis by ultrasound; and diaphragm function by dynamic breathing MRI methods in DMD boys receiving GSK2402968 or placebo as well as DMD boys at baseline versus healthy volunteers.
|Study Start Date:||September 2011|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01451281
|United States, Maryland|
|National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, 9000 Rockville Pike|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|
|Principal Investigator:||Kenneth H Fischbeck, M.D.||National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)|