Biomarkers in Tissue Samples From Patients Who Have Undergone Neck Dissection for Oral Cancer
Recruitment status was Active, not recruiting
RATIONALE: Studying samples of tumor tissue from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to cancer.
PURPOSE: This research study is looking at tissue samples in predicting oral cancer in patients who have undergone neck dissection for oral cancer.
Head and Neck Cancer
Genetic: microarray analysis
Genetic: polymerase chain reaction
Other: laboratory biomarker analysis
|Official Title:||Molecular Mechanisms of OSCC Tumor Invasion|
- Predictive ability of node-positive OSCC signature [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Lymph node predictions using sentinel lymph nodes [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Validation of preliminary data [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||March 2008|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||September 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
- To test preliminary data from node-positive oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) signatures for their ability to predict lymph-positive primaries using a cohort of OSCC tumors.
- To perform lymph node prediction using sentinel lymph node-biopsied primaries.
- To validate the preliminary data node-positive OSCC signature and test its ability to predict nodal status.
OUTLINE: Patient tissue samples are screened using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for human papilloma virus-specific primers. Samples are analyzed to identify a nodal-metastasis signature for oral squamous cell carcinoma. Samples also undergo microarray analysis to quantify expression levels for targeted genes. Initial data analysis is performed using Affymetrix® Microarray Suite 5.0 to quantify expression levels for targeted genes.
|Study Chair:||Barry L. Ziober, PhD||Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania|
|Investigator:||Gregory S. Weinstein, MD, FACS||Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania|