Interdisciplinary Home Rehabilitation of Patients With Stroke. A Randomised Controlled Intervention Trial.
Recruitment status was Recruiting
Objective: To evaluate the effect of interdisciplinary home rehabilitation of patients with acute stroke. The trial seeks to evaluate:
- Can early home rehabilitation affect the degree of independence (motor capacity, activities of daily living and cognitive status), quality of life and the possibility of discharge to own home?
- Can home rehabilitation influence the length of admission at a rehabilitation centre in the municipality, readmission to hospital, the use of healthcare services and death?
- To what extend can home rehabilitation be implemented according to finances? Materials and methods: Patients at the age 18 years or more admitted to the stroke unit at the University Hospital of Gentofte. The patients were eligible when meeting the following criteria: symptoms of stroke, need of rehabilitation tree days after admission, living in own home in the Municipality of Gentofte, Lyngby-Taarbaek or Rudersdal and Modified Rankin Score between 0 and 3.
The trial was conducted as a randomised controlled trial. The control group patients were rehabilitated according to normal procedure. The intervention group patients were rehabilitated according to normal procedure and were additionally rehabilitated at home during admission and four weeks after discharge.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Health Services Research
|Official Title:||Interdisciplinary Home Rehabilitation of Patients With Stroke. A Randomised Controlled Intervention Trial.|
- Can early home rehabilitation affect the degree of independence, quality of life and the possibility of discharge to own home and influence the length of admission at a rehabilitation centre in the municipality and readmission to hospital [ Time Frame: 180 days ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- To what extend can home rehabilitation be implemented according to finances? [ Time Frame: 180 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||July 2007|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||December 2008|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Other: Home rehabilitation
Home rehabilitation during hospital stay and after discharge
|Active Comparator: 2||
Other: Regular rehabilitation
Regular rehabilitation during hospital stay and in the municipality after discharge
|University hospital of Gentofte||Recruiting|
|Hellerup, Denmark, 2900|
|Contact: Finn Roenholt, PhD +4539773555 firstname.lastname@example.org|